History

COSMOS Township, organized January 25, 1870, has a name proposed by Daniel Hoyt, one of its first settlers, who came in 1867, was a surveyor, and was elected the first township clerk. It is an ancient Greek word meaning "order, harmony," and thence the universe as an orderly and harmonious system. The city in sections 15, 16, 21, and 22 was incorporated as a village on September 21, 1926, and as a city in 1969; a post office was established in Renville County in 1870 and transferred to Meeker County in 1872, closing in 1906 and reestablishing in 1924; it had a station serving several rail lines including the Minnesota and Western Railroad.

Courtesy Minnesota Historical Society